May 05, 2022 by Anuraj
This post is about improving Angular application performance with the help of GZip encoding when hosting the application in Azure Blob Storage.
Long back I wrote a few blog posts on how to create simple static websites using Azure Blob service and Deploying Angular Application to Azure Storage. Recently I faced an issue. One of the Angular application I am running from the Blob storage is taking some time to load. I looked into the network tab and I found the Angular application size is little big - one of the generated file is around 4MB and it is taking some time to download the file. After discussing with the team I found we can introduce Lazy Loading feature in Angular and fix this issue - which we need to modify the source code and requires some effort. Other option I found was using GZip encoding. For demo purposes I am using a simple Angular application - not the real one.
So I created a Angular application and hosted it on Azure Storage Account with Static website feature. And then I build the app using
ng build command. Here is the output of the command.
And I deployed it using Storage Explorer. And when I am browsing the app, I will be able to see something like this. If you notice the Content Encoding column - it is empty.
Next we will GZip the files and deploy it again. For GZip I am using a utility called
gzipper. I am installing it as using
npm install -g gzipper. And I am modifying the
package.json and adding one more command under
scripts, like this.
build-compress command, I am calling the
ng build which will compile the Angular files to the
dist folder. Then I am running the
Next I am running the command
npm run build-compress which will build and compress files - which later can be deployed to the storage account.
And if we compare the file sizes of generated files, we will see some difference. To know the exact size - how much compressed, we can use the -v flag in the
We can deploy the files using Storage Explorer again. But if we run the application without any change - it may not render properly because the browser didn’t understand the file encoding. To fix this issue, you need to set the Content-Encoding property of the file to
GZip. Here is the screenshot - where I am setting the content encoding using storage explorer.
We need to do it for all the files - JS, CSS and HTML files. Next refresh the app and we will be able to see the network tab.
Happy Programming :)
Copyright © 2024 Anuraj. Blog content licensed under the Creative Commons CC BY 2.5 | Unless otherwise stated or granted, code samples licensed under the MIT license. This is a personal blog. The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employer. Powered by Jekyll. Hosted with ❤ by GitHub